Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Good Ole' Fashioned Meatloaf


Well, I have never made meatloaf before, nor have I ever eaten it.  My dad always wanted it but my mom wouldn't make it.  So, Adam requested this for Father's Day, and I made it.  Let me tell you that he enjoyed it for 3 nights straight, the baby liked it, and I actually liked it, too!  The flavor of bacon really makes it delicious!

This is something I'd make on a cold rainy winter night (few and far between here in sunny South Florida).

Serves 6 - 8

Ingredients:

1 Cup dry breadcrumbs
1/3 Cup whole milk
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Celery rib, chopped
1 Carrot, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp worcestershire
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 Tsp allspice
2 Slices raw bacon, chopped
1.5 Lbs ground beef chuck
1/2 Lb ground pork
2 Large eggs
1/3 Cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Method:

Preheat oven to 350.

Soak breadcrumbs in milk.

Cook onions, garlic, celery, carrot and butter over medium heat until tender.  Remove from heat and stir in worcestershire, vinegar, allspice, salt and pepper.  Add to breadcrumb mixture.

Add the onion mixture to bacon, beef, pork, parsley and eggs in a large bowl and mix with your hands.

Pack mixture into a 9x5" oval loaf in a 9x13" shallow baking dish.  Bake about 1 1/4 Hours, or until meat thermometer reads 155F.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Suggest serving with ketchup.  And mashed potatoes.  Or cheesy potatoes.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment