Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger

I have a girlfriend who's taste for cooking I completely trust.  She lived in Connecticut for a while, so I figured she's have some good soup recipes.  Sure enough, she sent me this recipe, and it was fantastic.  I'll admit, it sounded a bit odd, and I'm not usually a fan of curry.  However, this was so delicious, easy to make, and my hubby even loved it!!! 

I served this as a starter, then followed with filets, asparagus, and stuffed ravioli.  (That recipe will come next!)

Thanks Mara!!!!!  :)

Serves 5 - 7

Ingredients:

1 Tsp coriander seeds* (or you can use ground coriander)
1/2 Tsp yellow mustard seeds*  (or you can use ground yellow mustard)
3 Tbsp peanut oil
1/2 Tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 Cups chopped onions
1 1/2 Lbs carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)* (I purchased two bags of the crinkle-cut thin sliced carrot rounds from Publix to avoid having to peel and cut whole carrots)
1 1/2 Tsp finely grated lime peel
5 Cups low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 Tsp fresh lime juice
1 Tsp crushed red pepper
Plain yogurt for garnish* (I didn't use this - it looks pretty for guests, but I didn't want it to cool down the soup.  And if you let the yogurt sit at room temperature, it becomes runny).

Method:

Grind coriander and mustard seeds in a spice mill to fine powder. 

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium - high heat.  Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute.  Add ginger; still 1 minute.  Add next three ingredients. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; saute until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.  Add 5 cups broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to med-low and simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.  Cool slightly.

Working in batches, puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Return soup to pot.  Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment